Having been dog owners for several years, Dawn and I always celebrated Mother's and Father's Day. We always treated our dogs as if they were our children and thought of ourselves as their parents so it made sense. However, this year obviously took on a whole new meaning since it was the first with Cooper. Anyone who knows me knows how badly I've wanted to be a father. I always knew that my life would feel complete once I was fortunate enough to hold that title. Naturally, Father's Day was a day I had been looking forward to for quite some time. Dawn, Cooper, and the girls went out of their way to make it more special than I could imagine.
The day started with Dawn giving me her and Cooper's gift to me. It was a watch that I had badly wanted and needed for some time now. I loved the watch but when she told me to look on the back, my heart just melted. She had "Happy 1st Father's Day" and "Love Cooper" engraved on the back. That in itself would have made my whole day but that was just the beginning. Shortly after that, we found out that our sweet niece Harlow was born at 10:10 back in New York. We were so happy for Kelly and Chad (Presley and Jagger too), and Chad got the best Father's Day gift anyone could ever ask for.
Dawn and Cooper took me out for an amazing brunch. The restaurant was actually quiet and the food was wonderful. I don't at all do well with crowds so this was ideal for me. After brunch we headed to Zoo Atlanta. It is obvious that I love zoos and animals becuase it takes a lot to get me to walk around in 95 degree heat for several hours without complaining. I think it had less to do with the animals and more to do with the company I was in. It was a great time but the heat did finally get to us so we (I) really felt the need to stop for some frozen custard on the way home.
As if all this wasn't enough, Dawn told me to relax and watch the end of the US Open while she prepared dinner. A short while later, the most delicious meal was waiting for me. The shrimp and grits (which I had never had before) that Dawn made was nothing short of amazing. God forbid I not eat until my pants are about to burst. Needless to say, I left the table with full stomach. Dawn later baked the best peach cobbler I've ever had. Not that I need it, but I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Being a new dad, Father's Day would have been a special day regardless of what presents I received, what we did, or what meal I had. But Dawn definitely went above and beyond to make it a very special day and a Father's Day that I will never forget!

No comments:
Post a Comment